Thursday, January 1, 2015

Union Station and the Red Line

On a Saturday in September when it was really too hot to do anything outside we decided to go explore Union Station. Union Station was opened in 1907 and is the headquarters for Amtrak. Union Station also has shopping and a food court.





The red line is also the only metro line to go in and out of Union Station. When we were looking to live to Silver Spring, Maryland, I did a lot of research on the red line. And some of the stations are really interesting! 

The Wheaton Metro station has the longest escalator in the western hemisphere. It is the second deepest metro behind Forest Glen. The escalator ride takes about 2 minutes and 45 seconds (we timed it!).

The deepest metro station in the western hemisphere is the Forest Glen Metro station at 20 stories below ground. The only way to get to the platform is using a high speed elevator. It's kind of creepy!!


I'm a metro geek, I admit it. I love public transportation! 
After our metro station adventure, we decided to check out Silver Spring (since we looked a lot in that area). We found a really good restaurant (that we ended up going to on Thanksgiving) called the Copper Canyon. Their chicken potpie is amazing and the skillets are so cute - cute enough I bout Tuf 4 of them so she could make chicken pot pies for us at home!


1 comment:

Ri said...

I am not-so-secretly glad you didn't take me to either of those metro stations. Too claustrophobic for me! Cool buildings, but um, yeah... On to the pot pie. That looks delicious!! I'm hoping we get to see Tufie use hers in an upcoming post.