Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Tidal Basin

We have been in DC For for a couple months now and we had yet been to the Tidal Basin. I had only been to the Tidal Basin once and that was back in 2004. On a Friday night I rode a bike to the Tidal Basin from the National Mall and then the following Sunday Tuf, Anthony and I walked around the Tidal Basin. It is now one of our favorite areas in DC. And we are super excited to see the Tidal Basin during Cherry Blossom season.
The Thomas Jefferson Memorial

 




















Ah, my favorite monument reflecting on the pond.


 The George Mason Memorial commemorates the contributions of George Mason, an important American Founder who wrote the Virginia Declaration of Rights. Mason is often thought of as the "forgotten Founder."
 Cherry Blossoms!!
 The Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR) Memorial. I usually go through this memorial backwards (not on purpose - it's just how I start my walk through the Tidal Basin). This is a huge memorial and one of my favorite - so many amazing quotes that I had no idea were FDR's quotes. Also, I did not know that FDR was President for 4 terms - thankfully now we have the 2 term limit!



This the the first time I have seen the Martin Luther King, JR Memorial that opened in 2011.










And then we walked back to the National Mall. Fall is amazing in DC, love all the colors!
Fall is a great time to visit DC. Tourist season is over, equals less crowds. The weather is always in the mid 60's and the humidity has disappeared.

No comments: