Sunday, November 13, 2016

Work Friends

Listen people, while I to think I am immune to feelings, I am not. And while two years ago I told myself that I was not going to make friends in DC because my friends were amazing in Idaho, I finally opened up to wonderful friends in DC. If I am honest with myself, I am someone who can make friends easily and I need friends - my love language is quality time and I value my relationships. And all that to say that two days before I left for Idaho I turned in my notice to go to work for another organization. It was an extremely hard decision and not one that I took lightly. While I had my ups and downs (as there are with any jobs) and I truly thankful for my 2 years, and while I am not a job hopper but I couldn't pass up this opportunity (new job will be in the next post). I have amazing friends at work and I will try my hardest to maintain our relationship. 
One thing I was not expecting (well there were actually 2 things - but one of them I will not discuss on my blog, but I am thankful that I was able to think about it while in Idaho when I was surrounded by people that would give me their honest opinion). But the one that I will talk about is how everyone made me feel loved for the last month that I was there. Many gave me gifts, like my dear friend Whitney - whom I have only known for a year. And who told me early on that she doesn't make work friends (in Mere mind - challenge accepted!). So, I invited Whit to lunch and I began to tear down her walls - and you know how I did that - with my best move - talking about underwear! :) Yep, that is how I get everyone. Once you divulge a personal detail the rest just falls into place. And then of course this summer became my obsession with my future husband. And through all of that Whit and I became good friends. I am so thankful for this relationship, because we are so much a like and so yet have so many differences and I love that dynamic! 
Another great friend and confidant is my friend David, and while David and I had several random conversations about work, life and just silly things, one thing you could also count on my asking was when were we going to get cupcakes. David is a unique guy, he went to medical school only to open a bakery and then migrated to HR. And his cupcakes are the best cupcakes in the entire world, that he just casually makes - who is this amazing person and yes since these were my cupcakes I tried every single one of these. And yes because I can be selfish I hid the cupcakes so that everyone could get one, and because of me hiding them - I may have forgotten about them...but David found them a week later.
Girl lunch at my favorite restaurant - Matchbox! Left side of the photo top to bottom: Whit, me, Eliza, Krystan, Right side of photo top to bottom: Lyndsey, Sandy, Kathy and Martha, Not pictured - Brittany. I could write on and on about these ladies - but I'll just say, what an amazing team we all were.
Speaking of my team - Wow! I am leaving them and really they should not really like me. But that is the opposite - they made me feel so loved and I balled like a baby several times. We did a team lunch on my last day to Cava because 3 out of the 5 people had never been - really people, it's Cava and amazing! And at lunch they gave me a goodbye basket with all the stuff below. They have me 4 journals - because that is what HR people do, they take notes in fun awesome journals! They gave me fun pens to write with in my amazing journal, they gave me a Starbucks gift card and a Chuy's gift card and an amazing purple tumbler that when I drink from it I think of all of them and smile. They wrote beautiful words in several cards. They supported me with my decision and I am continually blessed by them - I still text each of them and even 2 months after leaving we still get together for lunches and I do truly know that no matter where we all go in our lives we will all stay in contact. And to the few that may be thinking, you had such a great team - why did you leave. And that is a great question and not one I am going to answer fully on an open blog - but know that it was hard and even now I have a lot of self doubt about if I made the right decision or not and I still don't know. But I was given an opportunity for a job that will look amazing and my resume and will help me in wherever I go next with my career and I was also given a significant salary increase.
Well the time had finally came. I had tearfully turned in my laptop to IT and my fob to the building. All that was left to do was drink at my happy hour! A funny story - a year ago I had organized a happy hour and then I didn't show up. I am actually not a big fan of happy hour - but this was going to be different. Another quick story - as I was leaving my desk at work I started to cry. Then I was in the elevator, crying as I was surrounded by HR people and one random person - so I decided to make a joke and say - "At least I was fired :)" Everyone started laughing. 
My happy hour was at this restaurant in Chinatown called La Tasca - they have the best sangrias. We were able to secure an awesome enclave where we all were able to hang out. And hang out we did! A group of us stayed at La Tasca for 6 hours! 
Caroline and I - Caroline is one of the HRBP's on my old team. We were lunch, coffee and project buddies. 
 
Caroline and to leave early but below is the rest of my old team (Eliza (boss), Sandy (HRBP) and Tracey (HRBP)). A wonderful group of ladies that still include me on their gatherings!
The group!
Neville, his girlfriend Brittany and I. Neville and I became metro buddies since we both live in Silver Spring.
Girl photo! L-R: Tracey, Me, Lyndsey, Noor, Jessica and Susan.
Another girl photo, L-R: Jessica, Me, Kate and Martha.
Noor just started about 2 weeks before I left. I wish we could have worked together longer. But in our short time together we were able to have a couple coffee dates.
Jessica, Monika, Me, Darby and Neville
Finally people that like to do goofy photos with our mouths wide open - Me, Justin and Monkia.
The M's - Me, Monika and Martha
Idaho ladies!
Eliza and I. I'm pretty sure I tested her patience a lot of the time - but really what boss have I not done that to? :)
It was such a fun night! Probably the best night I have had in DC - and look I can make east coast friends!
And then the very next day, I had organized another get together with other friends because Gina had left in August and Jennifer was out on maternity leave. We met at a Korean restaurant in Rockville and it was a tad interesting - very meat heavy and very random (notice the octopus and intestines in the bottom photo). We had a great lunch and causally hanging out. It was a unique group of friends from Tuf and Melissa to Gina's boyfriend Mike - but we all got along and had a great time.

No comments: