Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Passport DC - Weekend 2

The second weekend for Passport DC. This time is the European Union. Melissa and I had talked and we had a plan. We were going to see more than the 5 embassies we saw the weekend prior. We were going to get to DuPont circle early and we were going to go to Belgium first (hello, free chocolate and waffles, why wouldn't we make this one first?). I got to DuPont circle around 9:30am and while I waited for Melissa I enjoyed my coffee and oatmeal at an adorable Starbucks right of the circle. When Melissa arrived we started to make our way up Massachusetts Avenue to Belgium. Since there were no lines we stopped at the Croatian embassy. Melissa enjoying a beverage.
Not part of the EU tour, but it was still open to the public so we went in. It is the Islamic Center. 




After the Islamic Center, we kept walking. Up hill. As the temperature started to get warmer. We finally made it to Belgium, 2 miles later!! But the line, oh the line...where did it end? We finally found the end of the line and once we heard it was a 2 hour wait we debated if we really need free chocolate and waffles. We decided we would try Belgium again next year. So, Melissa Ubered us a car and we went to the France/Germany embassy in Georgetown. It is huge and the even better thing was there was no wait!!!!
Now what are we going to do? We are in Georgetown and no other embassies are close by. Dang it, I really wanted to go to Ireland. Melissa looked at the Uber prices and they had jacked up the rates so we decided that since we were in Georgetown we would find somewhere to eat. We tried this fun bar and grill and had the most amazing BLT ever! I am in love with it and I so want it again. Yes that is an egg on it. I normally don't eat eggs at restaurants, but this was so good, that is after I moved the egg to be on top of the bacon - because who wants egg on lettuce, that is just weird.
While the day did not turn out as we had planned, it was still amazing. We spent 3 hours chatting about life. I am glad that I have opened myself up to making friends here, because if I hadn't I would have missed out on a really good friend. 
After our 3 hour brunch we went back to DuPont and then walked over to Melissa's place off of U Street. We chilled at her apartment for awhile before we meet up with Tuf and Anthony and their friend Bryan for dinner at Matchbox. After dinner I metroed home with them and we stopped at the Pentagon Memorial. It was a long day, but so much fun. I love living here!

No comments: