Sunday, July 19, 2015

Passport DC - First Weekend

I had been looking forward to Passport DC since I moved to DC. Maybe it is the traveler in me or maybe it the MAF in me that has opened my eyes to the bigger world. Whatever it may be, I love to learn about other cultures. I have to admit that I was a little sad that nobody wanted to do this with me. I also have to admit that while I think of myself as a pretty independent person, I still like to do things with people and I do have a lot of insecurities on doing things alone. However, I had a little pep talk with myself and talked myself into going, even if I was going to experience this alone, I was going to do it. As I was on the metro heading into DC my friend Melissa texted me and said that she would like to go to Passport DC with me and would meet me around DuPont Circle in a couple hours. I was overjoyed! Yay, someone to experience this with. And also something I have to admit, I have really struggled here with making friends, and it is truly my fault. I am not treating my time in DC like it's my home and therefore I am not investing in relationships because I know in a year or two I am leaving. Plus I have crazy amazing friends in Idaho and leaving them was hard enough so why would I put myself through that again. Well I am slowly talking myself into making friends and Melissa has been a dear friend to me. Melissa is from the west coast (Colorado) and has lived in DC for a little over a year now. We meet at Pew. 

Back to Passport DC. Let me first explain what Passport DC is. Passport DC is a month-long "journey" around the World. Passport DC celebrates with more that 100 international events and activities. Passport DC is completely free. This weekend was called, "Around the World Embassy Tour", where nearly 40 embassies, representing six countries, invite the public into their stately mansions and exclusive compounds to experience their country's food, art, dance and music. 

While I was waiting for Melissa I toured the Indonesian Embassy by myself. I know a little about Indonesia from my MAF years and I love Indonesian food thanks to Stefanie. So, I was pretty excited to text Barb photos as I went through the embassy.







Melissa arrived shorty after I finished touring the Indonesian embassy and so we started our journey. First we went to Mozambique. I am also familiar with Mozambique thanks to MAF.


Next we went the Botswana embassy.
We watched a traditional Botswana dance.
Next we went to the Nicaragua embassy.







Sporting our new Nicaraguan hats that we eventually gave to strangers.
Our last embassy was Japan. The line was long but moved fairly quickly. Note, Japan has a compound, however we were only allowed in one of the houses.
There wasn't anything to exciting in the house and we only saw the first floor. Outside was the food line! So good and while we waited in line we watched the entertainment.





This was such a fun day and I am so glad I went and didn't talk myself out of it. I am also so thankful to have a great friend in DC!

No comments: