Monday, April 17, 2017

Zach & Hay - March 10

The day had finally arrived! My brother and niece were coming to visit for almost 2 weeks. I was so excited. They flew from Phoenix to Baltimore on Thursday, March 9, landing in Baltimore around 9pm. 


Our first day in DC. I love this little girl so much! I hadn't seen her in 2.5 years.
What shall we do in on our first day together? What does everyone want to do when they are in DC? They want to go to the White House. This was my third time going to the White House. I had put in the request to tour the White House in November. In January I followed up on the request and at that time I was told that because of the new administration they were not granting tours at this time. Super sad. About 2 weeks before Zach and Hailey were to arrive I read a Washington Post article that said that White House tours would resume a week before they were to arrive. Yay! So, I emailed my congress person and asked if we could get a tour. I was told no because tour requests take up to 6 weeks. Okay. This stinks, but in all honesty the White House tour is not that great - sure you get to go into the White House, but the real tour is of the west wing - in which I have yet to find someone who can give me that tour, but I am working on that. Well, a week before Zach and Hailey were to arrive I got an email that said we were scheduled for a 9:30am tour on Friday, March 10. We were going to White House!





















After the White House we had breakfast at Old Ebbitt Grille and then we decided to walk to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. As we were walking to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing we walked past some Tee Pees at the National Mall.
Because tourist season just started we needed tickets to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and they were all sold out. So we went over to the American History Museum. They have some interactive things for kids to do.


We went in one of the simulators for a quick 10 minute movie.
I love this hat! She got so many compliments on it and I tried to steal it a few times :) We were goofing off in the cafeteria.
After the museum, we went back to Bumblebee and drove home with a stop at Kohls to grab some warm clothes and tennis shoes for Hailey (who only brought cowboy boots, really people!?!?!) and Target for some snacks and dinner of pizza. 
It was a great first day in DC! We are going to have a great time together!

No comments: