Saturday, February 27, 2016

NYC - Day 5 & 6

On Wednesday, Alissa and I had lunch at Fika and we had the most amazing soup, sweet potato coconut milk - yum,yum, yum!
On Wednesday evening we went to a comedy show in the Gramercy district. On the subway we saw an old co-workers' doppelganger.
We went to a place called the Stand. The lineup was a series of comedians, all equally funny and some big names that I can't remember :)
On Thursday, Alissa left me to go back to the wonderful state of Idaho. I made friends with one of the girls in my training class and for lunch we had traditional New York pizza! And yes, I ate it with cheese (cause it is pizza cheese) and more importantly I ate it with my hands (I like to eat Pizza with a fork).
Little side note, the shower in my hotel room was huge! Could seriously have a party in there!
For my last night in NYC, I decided to go to the Observation Deck at One World Trade Center. The observation deck are on floors 100-102 stories above ground. One World Trade Center is the tallest building in the Northern Hemisphere and the 6th tallest in the world. One World Trade Center opened their doors on November 3, 2014.
As you walk to the elevators you walk through Voices and Foundations. Voices tells you the personal stories of the men and women who built One World Trade Center. Foundations provides you with a close up view of the very bedrock on which the building stands.

I rode to the 102nd floor in an elevator all alone. That alone is a once in a lifetime experience, I can just imagine the crowds that come here during the tourist season. 
When you get off the elevator on the 102nd floor you watch a short video of the evolving NYC skyline.
Then the curtains move and you get your first glimpse of the skyline.
Next you walk to the observation deck on the 100th floor and can take in the 360 degree view of New York and New Jersey.


The colorful building directly in the middle of the photo is the Empire State Building.



While I was inwardly proud of going by myself, I wanted to experience some of it with someone, so I Facetimed Barb - she may not have been able to see much of it, but it was still fun!
Somber look down, where the towers once stood.



The Sky Portal is a 14-foot wide circular disc that delivers an unforgettable view, using real-time, high-definition footage of the streets below, but what is really below is just offices.




Going down the elevator and this time I had to share with one other person.
Looking up at the amazing building.
Taking another moment to walk around the memorial.





As I was walking back to my hotel, I walked past the fire station that that is closet to the towers. Not the best picture, but it says "Still Standing" on the front of the engine.
The few times I had walked past the "Charging Bull", there were people all around it. However, this Thursday night, there was nobody, so BAM, I got a peopleless photo! The Charging Bull depicts aggressive financial optimism and prosperity. The Charging Bull symbolizes Wall Street and the Financial District.
My training ended on Friday afternoon and I took an evening train back to DC. I absolutely loved New York City and I am so excited to venture back in May with Kathie.

No comments: