Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Karen's back in DC

On the morning of December 11, I said goodbye to by brother. What an excellent trip we had together. On the afternoon of December 11, I said hello to my dearest friend Karen, who was in DC for a work conference. On Friday night, Karen, the cousins and I went to my favorite place at Christmas time in DC. The Mormon temple. Their light display is amazing. I love it!
On Saturday, Karen and I made our way to Alexandria. While I love our new house in Silver Spring, I really do miss being so close to Mount Vernon and Old Town. Also, I don't drive in DC so Karen and I took the metro to Huntington and then for the first time, I used Uber to get from Huntington to Mount Vernon. Uber is nice and it is all done on your phone. 
While we all know my love for the metro has diminished and I now hate the metro, I still get excited when I get to ride on a new train. This just so happened that this was Karen's first time riding on the new train. They are a million times better than the old ghetto trains! 

So, Karen took most of our photos and she hasn't sent them to me, but that is okay - because how many more photos of Mount Vernon do I really need to most on this blog? After Mount Vernon we Ubered to Old Town and wandered around King Street (my favorite street in all of DC), and we had dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, Mai Thai. 
On Sunday, Karen took me to a couple of her favorite spots in DC. First we went to Oak Hill Cemetery in Georgetown. Oak Hill is was founded in 1848 and has famous politicians, businessmen, military, diplomats, and philanthropists buried in the almost 22 acres of land that surround Rock Creek.
After Oak Hill Cemetery we walked over to Dumbarton Oaks Garden. Beautiful! Even in winter, the landscape and gardens are amazing. It is also free in the winter months, but I will go back in the spring and fall - because it will be amazing. Dumbarton Oaks has been owned and operated by Harvard since 1940. Dumbarton Oaks has a reach history dating back to 1702 when Queen Anne granted the land to Colonel Ninian Beall. The first house was built on the property in 1801 by William Hammond Dorsey. Edward Magruder Linthicum enlarged the residence and named it The Oaks. Mildred and Robert Woods Bliss acquired the property in 1920 and they gave it the name of Dumbarton Oaks. The Bliss's renovated and enlarged the house and increased the grounds to around 54 acres.
It also happened to be around 70 degrees on the day that Karen and I visited! 





The roses are amazing!!!





After Dumbarton Oaks we walked back to DuPont Circle and had dinner at Mai Thai (yes, the same place that we ate at in Old Town - however, Old Town is hands down better!). 
On Monday, I worked and Karen visited old colleagues and toured around DC. On Monday night Karen meet me at work and we walked around the Holiday Market. I love the Holiday Market in DC and many of my Christmas gifts come from the Holiday Market. Karen bought me the most amazing photo of DC! She also bought be another one, but I am not allowed to display that one - because it is for next year's gift. 
 After the Holiday Market, we had dinner at another one of our favorite restaurant, Matchbox. 
On Tuesday evening, we went to the White House Christmas tree and then had dinner at Matchbox, again. On Monday and Tuesday night I stayed with Karen at her hotel a few blocks from the White House. This also meant that I was able to walk to work - I loved doing that! 
As always, it was wonderful to see Karen and I am so looking forward to seeing her, Kimberley and meeting Marcos in March!

No comments: