Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Ri & Jackson in DC Part 2

Ri and Jackson were leaving at 4pm on Monday. So, in the morning Ri really wanted to see the US Capitol. We were unable to get tickets online, so we just decided to go and see if we could get on a tour and we were able too! The Capitol dome is being restored, so unfortunately there was a giant inflatable protection thing covering most of the artwork on the dome.
 "The Capitol is among the most architecturally impressive and symbolically important buildings in the world. The Senate and the House of Representatives have met here for more than two centuries. Begun in 1793, the Capitol has been built, burnt, rebuilt, extended, and restored; today, it stands as a monument not only to its builders but also to the American people and their government." Link.
Though not at the geographic center, the Capitol is the origin point at which the District's four quadrants meet, and around which the city was laid out.







Outside of the US Capitol is the Library of Congress and the Supreme Court, both of which you can tour when you visit DC.
The Capitol tour took longer than expected so we were really pressed for time and I was also hoping to get my ENT appointment. When had to take the metro back to Huntington to get their luggage and then back to Reagan. When we were getting off the metro at Reagan, Ri had the luggage and I was pushing Jackson in his stroller and somehow we didn't get off the train in time and Ri made it to the platform but the luggage, Jackson and I could not get off the metro in time. So, now I had to get off the metro at Crystal city with a baby and luggage and a backpack and two purses. Thankfully it was only 1 stop and we were all reunited in about 5 minutes. 
Jackson chillin at Crystal City with Auntie.
Saying goodbye is hard for me and for Jackson.
We had such a great trip and it was so nice to have friends in town. I was able to experience more of DC that I hadn't yet experienced and it was fun exploring with such a dear friend. I feel blessed that people want to come visit me...maybe it is the awesome city I now live in, or it's my awesome personality - either way, I am just glad that people visit!

1 comment:

Ri said...

Yesss... I. Had. To. Go. To. The. Capitol. Sorry you missed your appointment. We certainly had an adventure though! P.S. I am never letting my hands off my baby on the metro again. So glad he had his auntie there to solve All The Problems.