Friday, February 22, 2019

Holiday in Tyler, Texas Part 1

Early on Saturday, December 29, I flew to Texas to spend the week with family! Tuf picked me up at 9:30am in Dallas (had a nice and early flight from DC). Since it was so early on Saturday morning neither of us had ate, but I really wanted In-N-Out (I am addicted!), so to tide us over until In-N-Out actually opened, we went to IHOP for a little snack and then we went to the mall so that I could get my Coach purse fixed (I am super rough on them, but thankfully they sent my purse to someone who repairs Coach purses and 4 short weeks later I got my purse!). After walking around the Grapevine mall we made our way to In-N-Out and then headed to Tyler, stopping at the outlets first. 
While I have never lived in Texas (for more than a couple months as a teenager during the summer), Texas is where majority of my family is at. Yes, my cousin is there but so are McKeown's and they are family to me too. So for the first part of my week long trip, I was going to spend time with them and it just so happened that Kimberley, Marcos and Sophia would also be there for a month before they went to Fiji. It was perfect timing! 
For my first dinner in Texas, Kay made my favorite chicken dish (I really have no idea what is in it, and I'm pretty sure mayonnaise may be in it - but I like it, so I don't ask questions :)). I also remember eating on these glass plates as a child, I always thought they were so elegant. 
Getting to see Sophia again was such a blessing! She is so adorable and such a well behaved baby and seeing Kimberley and Marcos as parents is amazing - they are so patient and kind and loving. This little girl is blessed to have amazing people in her life. 




Kay is one of the best cooks I know. The day before New Year's Eve they served their traditional New Year's Eve dinner of ham, scalloped potatoes, candied carrots and rolls - yum! 
Have I mentioned how much I love this family! We also sang Christmas hymns - where we each picked one, Kay picked Silent Night - my grandma's favorite. This is one of the best memories I have of this trip. 
Sophia and her daddy - so precious. 
My best friend, confidant, person I couldn't do life without.
Karen really enjoys being an aunt. 


And I love being an auntie to my friends kids!




A walk around the neighborhood on New Year's Day before I would say goodbye and go hang out with my cousin. It was such a wonderful few days with them and it was so great to see Kimberley, Marcos and Sophia again before they headed off to Fiji and it will probably be a few years before I see them again. 


No comments: