Saturday, May 13, 2017

Zach & Hailey - March 21 - Last Day

How did 11 days go by so quickly? My baby brother, Zach and my adorable 7 year old niece were here from the night of Thursday, March 9 to the super early morning hours of Tuesday, March 21. We started their trip off with a tour of the White House. Then we hopped up to New York for 2 packed days. Then it was back to DC where we did things in the suburbs like The Air and Space Museum at Dulles and Build-A-Bear in Bethesda, the longest escalator in the northern hemisphere in Wheaton and the National Aquarium in the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. We did all the things that tourists do in DC and in NYC. We froze and wore multiple layers of clothing almost everywhere we went. We laughed and smiled and simply enjoyed each other. 
I was very mindful that Hailey is a 7 year old child, so I tried to not have very scheduled activities, but rather we could just plan how things on the fly. Hailey did fabulous with everything that we did. There was never a meltdown from Hay. She did everything we did and more. She smiled that beautiful McKinney smile every time we asked her to. She jumped in countless photos. She laughed and played and enjoyed the frozen snow. She is such a great little girl. I am beyond blessed that she is my niece. 
My brother also did an amazing job. He had been to DC before and never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that he would be interested enough to come back and to bring his daughter. He even allowed me to schedule a trip to NYC and the ocean. He admitted that he wasn't really looking forward to the ocean, but when we got there he was mesmerized by the sound. And while he is afraid of heights, he loved being in the tallest building in the United States. 
I feel honored that I was able to give so many great life experiences for both Zach and Hailey. And while I am keenly aware that Hailey will not remember most of this trip, I know that Zach and I will. I love each of them deeply. 

No comments: