Sunday, March 6, 2016

Justice Scalia

On the night of Friday, February 19, Melissa and I had planned to hang out. During the day of the 19th, Karen texted me and said I should go to the Supreme Court to see Justices Scalia. I just texted back, "Okay". I wasn't really going to go. I am a bad US citizen, I don't follow politics, or who is on the Supreme Court, but I wanted to at least let Karen know I made some what an effort to go. So, I texted Melissa and asked her if she wanted to go and she said sure. Then Monika asked if I was going and I said Melissa and I were going to walk over there and see what it looked like, and then we would determine if we would stay or not. The Supreme Court is about a mile from my work and it was a cold February night. 
Media coverage!
The line wrapped around the Supreme Court and down the block. As we were walking to the back of the line, a police officer told us to just stand where we were, so we did and then Monika and Rich joined us.
We finally made it to the front of the Supreme Court, 2 hours later! It was actually pretty fun to stand in line with friends and chat about silly things.
Dude from MSNBC broadcasting right by us! We were almost on TV! :)
Melissa and I - happy to almost be at the front!
We have never been inside the Supreme Court building. I am going on a Supreme Court tour the first Friday in March with Karen, Kimberley and Marcos are here. Melissa, quickly snapped a couple pictures as we were ushered around.






Justice Antonin Scalia was elected to the Supreme Court by President Reagan in 1986. He was a conservative. He died on February 13, 2016. On Friday, February 19, the body of Justice Antonin Scalia laid in reposed inside the Supreme Court. More than 6,000 mourners including Congress, The President and First Lady, judges and potential nominees paid their respects. The casket was placed on the Lincoln Catafalque, which was loaned to the court by Congress. The portrait below was from 2007. Justice Scalia's law clerks stand vigil by his side at the Court all day and night.


After being at the Supreme Court for 3 hours, Melissa and I headed to Red Lobster (our original plan). I love Red Lobster and I haven't been in a year and half. It was a fun night with a good friend!

No comments: