Sunday, October 18, 2015

Chelsea's Visit Day 1

On Friday, October 2, Chelsea flew into Dulles. I made the long trek out to Dulles to pick her up. And then we took the metro to Tysons Corner where we meet the cousins who then drove us to our favorite restaurant Chuy's in Springfield, Virginia.
On Saturday morning, we woke up early and started our adventurous weekend in DC. But as many of you know, I don't drive within the beltway, so we take the metro!
First I showed Chels were I work in downtown DC.
For breakfast we went to Lincoln's Waffle House. It is a total dive, but there is seriously something special about their waffles.
After breakfast we toured Ford's Theatre. Some brief history on Ford's Theatre, in 1861 John T. Ford leased out the building that once was a church. On April 14, 1865, President Lincoln visited Ford's theatre for the 12th time to see "Our American Cousins", where he was shot by John Wilkes Booth and died the next morning at the Peterson House. After President's assassination the theatre was used as a warehouse and office building. In 1893 part of the building collapsed, killing 22 people.. The theatre reopened in 1968 as a historic site and working theatre.
The Petersen house was built in 1849 by William Petersen and is where President Lincoln was brought after he was shot and subsequently died the next morning.
After Ford's Theatre and the Petersen House we walked to Archives and saw, the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights and Constitution. After that we meet up with the cousins for lunch in Chinatown.
After lunch we went to The Holocaust Museum. I did not take very many pictures because I feel that The Holocaust Museum is one that you need to go through at your own pace and experience it for yourself. I do highly recommend spending some time at The Holocaust museum when you come to DC.
After The Holocaust Museum the cousins went home and Chels and braved the rain and wind and went to the Pentagon Memorial. The Pentagon Memorial is one of my favorite memorials, maybe because I remember exactly where I was when the terrorist attacks happened.
Next we ventured to Old Towne Alexandria for Thai food at my favorite restaurant, Mai Thai.
What an amazing day! We did things I hadn't done yet and did things that I truly enjoy. I love showing people this amazing area!!!

No comments: