Friday, August 2, 2019

A Capitol 4th and Barracks Row Parade

We all know that my favorite holiday is the 4th of July, I love fireworks! But I was not looking forward to this 4th because President Trump moved the fireworks and was going to speak at the Lincoln Memorial. I am not going to get political on my blog, but July 4th is normally a nonpartisan holiday in DC and it didn't feel that way this year. Plus I knew that there was going to be opposing sides at the National Mall clashing and it was going to be hot and I wanted nothing to do with any of it. So, Stephanie and I decided to do the rehearsal for the Capitol 4th concert on the west lawn of the US Capitol. We had seen the live Memorial Day concert last year, so we had to do the 4th. It was so much fun and I thought since it was a rehearsal there would be a lot of stop and starting, but there wasn't - it ran just like the live performance. John Stamos hosted and there were many famous people that performed including a favorite of mine, Colbie Caillat. But what made it special for me was Big Bird! I was a huge, huge, huge Big Bird fan! My grandma has made me a life size Big Bird when I was three (I so wish I still had that Big Bird). Now I feel like my time in DC is complete - I saw Big Bird!






On the 4th we decided to do the local parade over in Eastern Market on Barracks Row. It was such a fun parade (minus the insane heat). It felt like small town America where there was local people in the parade, Cub Scouts and schools and dance teams and the mayor and kids throwing candy at your head. It was so much fun and you didn't feel like you were in the Nation's Capital or a mile away from the giant 4th of July parade.










The parade was only an hour long and that was plenty because it was already so hot at 11am in the morning. After the parade we hopped on the metro and went over to McPherson area to relax and enjoy some bubble tea and to cool down. 
On our way to bubble tea we saw a tank just hanging out on the side walk... totally normal (joking!). 
After bubble tea, Stephanie and I went our separate ways. I went over to Chinatown and met a childhood friend and her friends at Ford's Theatre where we went and had lunch at Matchbox. Matchbox closed their original location in Chinatown :( but opened up 3 blocks away in Penn Quarter.
After lunch I walked them over to the Old Post office so they could go to the Bell Tower and then I attempted to walk to the National Mall to see the Trump Baby. But as I was walking there the parade had just ended so I was swimming against thousands of people, so after a couple blocks, I gave up and headed home. 
Part two of my July 4th is in the next post.

No comments: