Thursday, June 2, 2016

Kathie's Visit - Day 7

On Monday, I had to work, so Miss Kathie had the city to herself! She went to the Holocaust Museum and then went over to The Library of Congress and got her very own library card. After work, I took Kathie to one of my favorite restaurants in DC, Matchbox.


We had such a great week together! We experienced so much of what DC has to offer and got a little lovely taste of New York City. We laughed at so many moments along the way and through our travels and downtime we were able to have deep meaningful conversations about life. My love language is quality time and being able to spend time with close ones is something I cherish the most. Over the course of the week we walked around 57 miles. We stood in countless rainstorms in Virginia, DC, and New York. We took a crazy amount of transportation options from taxis, to Uber, to metro and subways to trains and ferries to driving Bumblebee several times in bumper to bumper traffic on the Beltway. We toured the current President's house (White House) to our first President's house (Mount Vernon) to the Arlington House. We went on tours of Arlington National Cemetery, Supreme Court. Library of Congress, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. We went to the tallest building in the United States, One World Trade Center. We remembered those who fought in the many wars of our history and honored some of our founding fathers and thanked them for all they did for our great nation. We remembered those who lost their lives on 9/11 at the Pentagon and Ground Zero. We experienced an amazing Broadway Play and of course got to check items off our bucket lists, like meeting one of my favorite actors and walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. We did all of this in just one week and while it was exhausting and sleep was not on our side this time, we had a wonderful time. I am so thankful to all my friends and family that visit while I live out this dream of mine in DC. I know that my time out here is short and I am so very thankful that I get to experience it with so many people!
The Friendship Arch in Chinatown.
On Tuesday, Kathie was able to go to Ford's Theatre before we had lunch at Zaytinya (Mediterranean) and then she was off to the the airport to head home. After work, it was free ice cream day, so my local Idaho friend, Monika, and I had free ice cream! I am so thankful for all my friends!
And to end the Kathie in DC posts, is this picture that our dear friend Barb had on her work computer! I was totally joking when I told Barb to do this...but she did and I love it! Not like I have this photo as my lock screen on my iPhone or on my own person laptop. I am not sure how my year could get better!

No comments: