Sunday, May 15, 2016

Kathie's Visit - Day 1

On Monday, May 2, one of the best people in the world came to visit me for an entire week! Because of a delayed flight I was able to meet Kathie at Reagan!
After we dropped off Kathie's luggage at my work, we walked over to one of my favorite restaurants, Cava. Then we took a cab from downtown to the Washington Monument for dinner. This has been something, I have wanted to do for ever (have a picnic on the National Mall). But the weather was not on our side and it did start to rain. We continued to eat under our umbrella's - but then it started to rain pretty hard so we decided to leave. It was an adventurous first couple hours in DC for Kathie!
On Tuesday, May 3, was Kathie's first full day in the DC area, and I had decided to spend it in Virginia. Before I start explaining our day in Virginia, I should mention that before Kathie arrived I put together a very extensive schedule. It was about 100 lines in Excel and had 2 tabs. I sent it to Kathie in a PDF so she couldn't alter anything. I may like to control things a little when people visit. 
Back to Day 1. I took one for the team and drove to Mount Vernon. Couple things, I don't drive and I for sure don't drive on the beltway and in rush hour! But I did. It took us about 1.5 hours to get to Mount Vernon. Oh, I miss the days when we lived 3 miles away. We did the mansion tour and were able to walk much of the grounds, including watching a wreath laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Washington's.

At Mount Vernon we had an amazing lunch at the Mount Vernon Inn and then I drove Kathie by my old house, stopped at Starbucks and parked at Huntington Metro. Our next adventure was Arlington National Cemetery. At Arlington National Cemetery you get amazing views of the district at Arlington House.
While we were waiting for the tour bus at Arlington House, it started to rain...A LOT! It pretty much rained the entire week that Kathie was here. At least beautiful Kathie was happy about the rain!
Our next soggy stop was to Iwo Jima, and thankfully as we got to Iwo Jim the rain stopped!
After Iwo Jima we went to the Pentagon Memorial and then to Old Town for dinner at Mai Thai. 
We had an excellent first day and only walked a little of 17,000 steps (7.57 miles).

No comments: