Monday, September 18, 2017

Holiday - Northern Ireland - August 28

Oh the day I was for sure thinking I was going to die. We all know a few facts. Karen is super athletic. Mere is lazy and likes chocolate and Starbucks. 
I knew Karen wanted to do The Granite Trail. Last time I went to Northern Ireland I was able to take a pass at this...but this time I was not that lucky. 
We started the walk from the condo and then officially got the trail. 
The Granite Trail is the rail trail where the bogies (the carts that carried the granite down the mountain side to the harbor).
Phew, okay the first steps up the trail were hard... but look a sign! Let's pretend to read it so I can catch my breath and stop my heart from beating out of my chest.
There were two trails to go up - the straight up stairs that Karen has done before or the longer but more gradual road...we chose the gradual path and the pictures don't really make the gradual climb look that painful, but it was - thankfully Karen was kind and let us stop... A LOT!
Oh my goodness - the scenery - breathtaking! For the first part of the trail we were in the forest and then about an hour in we got above the tree line and the land was covered with beautiful flowers of heather and wind. And in the background we could see the sea!

We kept following the trail and then we realized that this trail would not meet up with the trail Karen knew about because this was leading to a different granite quarry. So, we had to back track a little bit and walk through an area that may or may not have been a path...these flowers are beautiful, but they are a tad prickly and hurt - even through jeans. 
The town of Newcastle below.
I love this picture of us - just chilling (aka me trying to not die) over looking the beautiful landscape.
We made it to the other quarry! And we talked to a cut mountain biker about Game of Thrones (yeah, we just smiled, cause like we know anything about that show).
Now for the way down - it was beautiful!!!! But not a simple trail - very rocky...
Phew - that was an intense walk for me. But I survived! Yay me!! As we were walking back to the condo we stopped at Niki's cafe for lunch - we are such healthy eaters..
That evening we had dinner at what is an amazing restaurant that we ate at 3 times! Karen and I split the steak and chicken meal. It was plenty of food for both of us and I got the most amazing gravy (I think it was meant for the steak - but it was good on the chicken and chips!) and look at all those beautiful mushrooms! 
We had dinner with the Chestnuts and then we went back to their beautiful brand new house for tea and baked good. Then we went to their son, Samuel and Sarah's house to meet their newest baby. I had met Samuel and Sarah last time when they had their first kid and now they have 4!


No comments: