Sunday, June 3, 2018

Memorial Day Weekend

My bucket list friend was back after a busy spring time for her. We decided to spend the afternoon at the Native American museum and have lunch after their famous cafeteria. I first went to church in Alexandria and then I made my way back to DC, but because it was the weekend and it's metro (I hate metro) I ended being a little late - but this worked in my favor, because I was able to see the Rolling Thunder with the Capitol Dome in the background. Very patriotic!
I am not a very good picture taker - I actually usually rely on others to take photos for me (miss you cousin!). I just heard about a survey that said that people that take pictures actually forget more than people who are just present in their surroundings - so that is my story and what I am sticking with :) 
After the museum we walked up Capitol Hill and had pizza in Eastern Marketing. Then we made our way to the west lawn of the Capitol so we could attend the Memorial Day concert. I didn't really know what to expect from this concert - it was just something I saw on Twitter. I had no idea it was hosted by PBS, or their were a lot of celebrities and politicians. Or that normally 100's of thousands of people attend. We did have to go through security - but that is pretty common in DC. Next we had to find the perfect spot.
It rained so much, but we were determined to stick it out and I am so glad that we did.

It was a very patriotic concert and such a unique DC experience!
The US Capitol is only a mile from my apartment, so afterward I just walked home. Kind of amazing that I can pretty much walk most places.

And summer has officially started!

No comments: