Sunday, March 4, 2018

New Home

When I started this east coast adventure 3.5 years ago I never imagined a lot of where I am at right now. For one, I didn't think that I would still be in DC area - my original plan was only 2 years. Part of the original plan was to live with the cousins the entire time and that first changed in September of 2016 and it was going to change again February of 2018. I also never thought I would live in the District. Nor did I think I would be advancing in my HR career. 
I wrote this post 4 years ago about my plan for this adventure. And now the reality is the cousins have moved back to Texas, I have advanced in my HR career and the biggest change is I am living alone in Washington, DC! 
I started the apartment search in DC and I found my current building after only looking at my 3rd complex. I never thought I could afford to live in DC but when I saw this complex in my Facebook feed I was like I have to look at it. It is a Camden property and Camden is known as a luxury complex, so I was like I can't afford this. Maybe it was because of the time of year, but everything worked out and after touring the complex the first of December I signed a lease to start on February 2. 
One of the selling points of apartment was the amazing view of DC! I can see the US Capitol and the Washington Monument. I live in the NoMa area of DC. NoMa is short for North of Massachusetts Avenue. NoMA is behind Union Station, a mile from the US Capitol and 1.7 miles from my work. Living in DC is expensive, and having a car in DC is even more expensive so I do still have a car but Bumblebee is still living in Maryland at my dear friend Gina and Mike's house. People often ask me, why do you have a car if you are not using it? Well there are a couple reasons - the main one is I am super attached to my baby. Also he is paid for and registered in Maryland for 2 years - therefore Bumblebee and I are remaining Maryland residents. 
This view is going to be amazing when the weather is nice!!!!
And I am paying an arm and a leg for this oh so big...studio... 495 square feet...that is all mine...and Princess's - okay it is mostly all Princess's.
Wow, oh wow, this place is small! I have never lived in a studio. When we moved here we had a house, than another house and than a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment and now a studio. I think most people go the other direction than I am going, but it works for me. 
Photos of most of my stuff (a lot of my storage stuff is now in Tyler, Texas) moved into my one room.


When you only have 1 room, you have to unpack in order to just move around. This is what we were able to do in one afternoon/evening!


The next day, Tuf and I needed to run a lot of errands and one of them was to get all the final stuff from our old apartment in Rockville. My movers moved my giant rug from my old apartment to the loading dock, but they didn't put it on their moving truck for some reason...they probably forgot. This is a big rug and it was expensive and I needed it in my studio so my couch wouldn't slide around on the laminate hardwood floors. So, Tuf and I were able to cram it into Bumblebee - poor Tuf didn't have a very comfy ride while we ran errands, but hey everything fit!
Night time views from the roof top of my new building.
The view of the entire apartment - from me just standing in one spot. I really like it. It has taken some adjustment having learning to have everything in one room, but it's cozy and everything fits (even my extra long couch that was never meant for a studio)! I like that while it is a studio I have a regular size kitchen and appliances and more counter space than we had in either of our houses! .




A new edition to my studio is this pop of color rug! I love the color and how it divides the kitchen from the living room :)
Also, because of limited wall space and the humidity tarnishing my necklaces I bought this amazing jewelry case. It holds so much! I have over 30 necklaces and they all fit - I was super excited about that. I love that I can see my earrings, necklaces and rings in all one spot and I have room to grow. This case can hang on the wall, stand on the floor or hang over a door. I have decided to hang inside my closet on the door. The case also lights up when you open it and it has a lock (apparently for people who have expensive jewelry (I don't)).  
My frig is baaaccckkk!!!! I love seeing all these amazing people everyday and the encouraging notes I have received since I moved to DC. Love it!
A nice bonus of my new pad is the sweet walk-in closet. While this place is small, it has amazing storage with the walk-in closet, coat closest and a line closet. I have a ton of storage in the kitchen and I actually have empty drawer in the kitchen! I also had to get creative with storage and I won't give away my secrets but there are things in super random spots (but it works!).


The bathroom is super nice and even has a deep soaking tub.






















That concludes the apartment stories and tour. Now for the year of exploring DC and bringing back my love of DC!

No comments: